What to expect and how to best prepare for our initial meeting
The initial consult is an information packed 90 minutes where we get to know you and your dog, learn about your dog’s issues, your concerns and goals. It is the first step for any in-person training.
- Block out uninterrupted time, with all adults present for this meeting.
- Do not feed your dog for 8 hours prior to this meeting.
- Have your dog on a leash or behind a secure gate when we arrive.
- If your dog is more comfortable meeting people outside the home, please let us know so we can arrange to meet you outside.
- If you would like us to text instead of ringing the bell, just let us know!
What we cover:
- Review complete history from the registration form you’ve completed, discuss what you’ve tried, what has worked and what hasn’t
- Review how dogs learn and how we use this to modify behavior or teach new behaviors
- Discuss your goals
- Review your dog’s prognosis and discuss the factors that affect it
- Implement management strategies and/or begin training
- Discuss if a meds consult or vet referral is needed for your case
- Determine the best training package moving forward
- Review custom prepared packet of handouts and materials being left with you
- Set up follow up session or discuss the plan for scheduling
After your consult:
- You will receive a thorough follow-up and summary report detailing what we covered in your consult, next steps including any personalized training plans we discuss during the consult, homework and a recommended shopping list
- Your vet or VB will receive a copy of the notes for their treatment records
- One month of email follow-up for working through your initial training plan or issues discussed during the consult